Wednesday, January 4, 2012

eating out, like "normal" people

Well, I havent posted on here in FOREVER but lately I have had some comments coming from pinterest so I thought I would try to pick it back up!

One thing that my husband and I struggle with a lot by having kids with food allergies is that we cant go out to eat easily! We just cant go anywhere, and if we go a random place, we have to bring the kids their own food, which at this age is getting to be a hassle.
So we were very excited to find two new places over the holidays that work for our kids to eat out! Normally we either go to Whataburger or a Mexican restaurant....both of which are getting a little old.

First off, Zpizza! It was so fun to eat pizza out since I know we will never be able to go to Chuckie Cheese or Gattiland. (Tear tear) and the kids actually scarfed down their pizza in record time! They have the same vegan cheese that I use at home and that, with their yummy crust, was a great combo! We even had it for leftovers today and I ate it, found it delicious, and wanted more!

The other place we went was Firehouse Subs! So excited about a sandwich chain! The kids got a kids meal turkey sandwich (dry). They split it and it was perfect for their little bellies. They also ate chips and the dessert that it comes with is Oreos (2)! How perfect is that!?! And I always tend to bring a little fruit cup for them to share pretty much everywhere we go.

Both experiences were so nice, easy, and fun! It felt so good to be "normal" and eat out like all the other families. Thanks Zpizza and Firehouse Subs!

1 comment:

JohnnyFive said...

I came across your blog and as a dairy kid (not so much a kid 28 yrs old) i thought I might be able to help you with a couple things from my vast experience. Little backstory, since the day I was born I've had FATAL allergies to dairy. Throat swells, stops breathing, epipen.... the whole nine yards. I'm the only one in my family which made it become just a fact of life and the way i was. Fast forward to my 28 year old self.... i'm engaged and my fiancee eats almost completely dairy free as well (its really quite healthy). But we still love to go out and eat. With there being so much awareness these days, almost any restaurant can help you with ingredients. I highly recommend using the words fatal and death, they tend to take you seriously and surely don't want to get sued. For chains check out the websites, and also some apps for your phone. I noticed you spoke of firehouse subs, other sandwich chains that have great dairy free options; subway, jimmy johns, paradise bakery, panera. These of course are some of the healthier options, there is always McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's. It really is amazing how many chains have very specific info if you just ask for an allergy menu. Hopefully this is beneficial info, maybe its all repetition...Good Luck!!!