Monday, April 5, 2010

Desserts and Special Treats

So this is one of the saddest topics for me to write about. For some reason, a mother looks forward to giving her child special treats from minute one. Especially a mom like me who never turns down candy or dessert, for it is a staple in my opinion! The other hard part is seeing other children eat whatever desserts they want and knowing my child can't and may never be able to. Birthday parties are very hard and I know will only get harder.
So...to pick up my bootstraps and make the best of it, I have tried to find sweets he can eat.
Here is what I have come up with. The list is short because really my son doesn't even like sweets yet. He just doesn't seem to be a big fan. ??? Go figure! But it does make it easier right now.

I found Soy Delicious Mini Ice Cream Bars and LOVE THEM!! You would never know that it is soy. I ate them myself when I gave up milk while nursing. I have heard that their other products are just as delicious.

Rice Krispie Treats! Not the prepackaged store bought ones though! Make them yourself and use a non-dairy butter. Easy and my sons fave!! He also realized that he loves marshmallows while helping me make them. I actually noticed that the generic brand at my grocery store are milk free, so you could try that out if you didn't feel like making them.

We have tried several of the Cherrybrooke Lane cake mix boxes. I am not a fan of these and neither is my son apparently. The taste is just not up to par. I have seen that Betty Crocker has come out with a Gluten Free line that seems to be dairy free also. We haven't tried them yet, but I am guessing they may be pretty good being Betty Crocker. Let me know if you have tried them!

Did you know that Oreo cookies are dairy free?! Wowza!! Thats weird, right?! What a great treat!!

Iced Animal Cookies are dairy free and just pure greatness! :) I keep eating them all! Oops!!

Jelly Beans, peppermints, lollipops, and other sugar based candies seem to be a-okay too!

I found this website, Divies, that sells dairy free treats- looks great! I love when I find great companies like this! They will even ship you cupcakes for your next party! Anyone ever tried them?

3 comments:

Ryan and Amy said...

Alot of Duncan Hines Cake mixes are dairy free! Try the yellow cake mix, butter recipe! Just check the ingredients, because although I've read on other blogs that it is over and over and I've read the ingredients myself I still have to check. I guess I'm paranoid like that.

Lee, Gena, & Hunter said...

Hi! I found your sight off the Hoyt's blog. I have to eat dairy/soy free while I'm nursing. My favorite sweet treat is smores...the Honeymaid grahm crackers are dairy free, and marshmellows are, and then instead of hershey bars, I use hershey's syrup. not quite the same, but it does the trick.

Steph said...

The chocolate Betty Crocker Gluten free cake mix is great. The yellow is good if you make carrot cake with it.